What is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental health disorder that can cause above-normal levels of hyperactivity and impulsive behaviors. People who struggle with ADHD may have trouble focusing their attention on a single task. They also may struggle with sitting still for a long period of time. Both adults and children can have ADHD. SOMA Therapy offers ADHD treatment by ADHD specialists in Wichita. Schedule an appointment today.
What does ADHD look like?
ADHD can present itself in multiple ways. Here are some of the common symptoms that you may see:
- having trouble focusing or concentrating on tasks
- being forgetful about completing tasks
- being easily distracted
- having difficulty sitting still
- interrupting people while they’re talking
How is ADHD defined?
DSM-5® DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR ADHD IN ADULTS (based on DSM-5)
*Please note that this is intended for educational purposes only. For a diagnosis of ADHD, you must have a complete history & evaluation completed by a behavioral health specialist.*
- All criteria must be met for a diagnosis of ADHD in adults. Five or more symptoms of inattention and/or ≥5 symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity must have persisted for ≥6 months to a degree that is inconsistent with the developmental level and negatively impacts social and academic/occupational activities.
- Several symptoms (inattentive or hyperactive/impulsive) were present before the age of 12 years.
- Several symptoms (inattentive or hyperactive/impulsive) must be present in ≥2 settings (eg, at home, school, or work; with friends or relatives; in other activities).
ADHD Symptoms of Inattentiveness:
- Makes careless mistakes/lacks attention to detail
- Difficulty sustaining attention
- Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
- Fails to follow through on tasks and instructions
- Exhibits poor organization
- Avoids/dislikes tasks requiring sustained mental effort
- Loses things necessary for tasks/activities
- Easily distracted (including unrelated thoughts)
- Is forgetful in daily activities
ADHD Symptoms of Hyperactivity:
- Fidgets with or taps hands or feet, squirms in seat
- Leaves seat in situations when remaining seated is expected
- Experiences feelings of restlessness
- Has difficulty engaging in quiet, leisurely activities
- Is “on-the-go” or acts as if “driven by a motor”
- Talks excessively
- Blurts out answers
- Has difficulty waiting their turn
- Interrupts or intrudes on others
How is ADHD treated?
In most cases, ADHD is best treated with a combination of behavior therapy and medication. For preschool-aged children (4-5 years of age) with ADHD, behavior therapy, particularly training for parents, is recommended as the first line of treatment before medication is tried. What works best can depend on the child and family. Good treatment plans will include close monitoring, follow-ups, and making changes, if needed, along the way.
When should I seek a professional?
If you or your doctor has concerns about ADHD, you can take your child to a professional therapy center offering ADHD counseling services. At Soma Therapy, we can help. Call 316-201-6047 or fill out our contact form to get help & learn more about ADHD today.
Wichita KS ADHD Therapists
At SOMA therapy, you can find the best therapist provider for your needs in Wichita, KS. We specialize in a variety of issues working with adults, children, couples, and families in the greater Wichita area. These issues include chronic depression and anxiety, relationship problems, trauma and integrated mental health. We provide innovative and effective trauma therapy treatments. SOMA has a team of some of the best Wichita KS therapists who can speak freely about their own recovery journey with their clients. We “practice what we preach” and hope to inspire clients as we are living examples of the healing that can happen.
Psychiatrist in Wichita KS
If you’re looking for a Psychiatrist in Wichita KS, our therapy center also offers treatment for psychosis related disorders. Jenny Voth is our licensed psychotherapist in Wichita, KS. She has 18 years of work experience. She works to treat substance abuse, trauma and heal families. Not only is she active in her therapeutic work, she also brings her Christian background to the work she does. She your best choice for a Christian therapist in Wichita, KS.
LaVetta Jarett is our Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. She has over 10 years of expertise in mood disorders (depression, bipolar), anxiety, PTSD, personality disorders, cultural stressors, and clients in crisis. She also specializes in helping with medication management for those struggling with substance abuse.
Sources & Additional Resources:
- National Resource Center on ADHD
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Assessment tool for Adults: https://www.qandadhd.com/Content/pdf/ADHD-RS-IV_Tear-Pad-with-Adult-Prompts.pdf (QANDADHD.com)